It is relatively easy to save money for Christmas presents if you begin saving in early January. You have to be determined and stick to a weekly savings plan.
- Decide how much money you will need. In addition to Christmas gifts, remember to factor in decorating, entertaining and holiday travel plans.
- Divide that amount by 52.
- Write down that figure. You will have to set aside that amount each week to achieve your goal.
- Consult your local bank for a Christmas club or simple savings account that allows you to make a deposit weekly. Look for an account that gives interest.
- Treat the weekly amount like a bill due that will charge you interest if left unpaid.
- Use your daily spare change to contribute to the weekly amount, if necessary.
- If you don’t remember to start saving in January, you’ll need to readjust the math equation above. Divide the amount of money you’d like to save by the number of weeks remaining till Christmas.
Dining out is an expense that adds up; cutting back on restaurant visits can be an easy way to help you achieve your financial goal.